How can I assess students' level?
To determine the level of the students, you can use our built-in entry test (Level Assessment Test, LAT). Based on the results of this test, the students are classified at the 'correct' level. The entry test (LAT) is not 100% accurate due to various factors. Approx. 80% of the students reach the correct level and for a number of students you have to adjust the level (after the fact).
When you have enabled the "automatic level adjustment" (ALA) function in the Essentials program, the "adjustment afterwards" takes place automatically.
Tweens, Tracks, English Premium en English Training
After the students have been classified at a certain level by the LAT, it is important to monitor the results and adjust the level if necessary.
1. Have the student do 25 – 75% of the unit.
2. While doing the 25 – 75%, you will get a good idea of the student's performance with the help of the results. Red score (<55%): the student works (too far) above his level. Green score and >90%. The level is probably too low.
3. What is the student like (e.g. easy going, perfectionist, dyslexia)?
4. What does the student say about doing online exercises (“Boring” is usually the signal that the level is too low.” I don't get it” fits more at a high level)?
5. What do you know about his level in the classroom? Based on the results of 2 – 5 you can adjust the level of the student.
If in doubt, consult a colleague or contact Holmwood's.